This blog is a bit late because yesterday was a bugger. Not that I am going to ever complain but 10 hours at a hospital is a bugger for anyone. The day had been changed up to try to consolidate my Friday clinic day in to a Tuesday Clinic day so that we could actually cover more in the same day. I was stoked that they wanted to do this because it gave me back some extra time of not having to spend two part days at the hospital with each other day only having an RT treatment later in the afternoon.
A couple of sub chapters here -
1. Chemo Oncology - great rash results & solutions
2. Cetux Delay - Hand massage - Birthday Girl
3. RT results boost.
4. Cetux finally
5. RT 20%
1. Chemo Oncology - great rash results & solutions
My first clinic for the day was with Dan. Now I am sure that Dan is warming to me as he was all smiles from the minute he comes out to get me from the waiting room. He starts with all the questions regarding pain etc and then gets on the the rash. He wants to know how itchy and how painful it is and I am happy to be able to say that as yet it is not either of these. He tells me that it is a good coverage and this reminds me that the rash is a great indicator of successful treatment.
It is then shirt off so that he can have a look at the chest, and it is awesome when he tells me he is happy again with what he is seeing. Now Dan may not be the best Patch Adams, but as the head of Department - Head and Neck, when he tells you that he is really happy with the outcomes, there is significant relief. I have great respect for Dan and having him tell me things are going well really just makes you feel fantastic. When he then says he has a few creams and lotions to better manage the rash, I am feeling sensational because these little additions are just gonna make everything better when I need it.
So when I get home I apply the creams thanks to my angel Lisa, for all her efforts in doing this task because like she says - I am too rough. I get the bonus of this amazing face and neck rub. Only cream but so very relaxing at the end of a long day.
I wake this morning with a total transformation. If you have followed the blog and seen the pics of the nasal rash then check back tomorrow for an updated photo. You may be just as amazed at me. Medical wonder for sure.
2. Cetux Delay - Hand Massage - Birthday Girl
After clinic we (Lisa) head up to CDU, and check in. Shortly after I get called up for a pre-treatment details check and it is then that I hear a problem. "When did you do your bloods". "I did them at 3:30pm yesterday". "They are not in the system". "Can't help you there but I did them at the Blood Clinic downstairs yesterday at 3:30".
Now this makes me realise that I am not gonna get my Cetux straight away because I know from past sessions that they need the bloods to make sure the dosing is right. Now I also know that the bloods need to get to Dan, who has to work out the dosing, then it has to get to some lab somewhere to be made up. So my midday Cetux is not gonna happen on time. So what to do now to kill time......?
I no sooner think that question when this lovely Japanese lady Itseko (I think), comes over and asks me if I would like a hand massage. Have you ever had one? Well I had never even thought about having one, but given I had a wait, I thought, why the hell not. Might as well have a bit of fun whilst I wait.
OMG was it freaking awesome. At first I thought she was going to tear the skin between my fingers with he finger nails but it soon became sheer bliss. It was a reflexology massage and was very firm but a very time she hit a "tight" spot and massaged it out, it really was exquisite and Lisa commented that I needed to stop moaning and sighing, but I couldn't help it. My eyes were fighting to stay open and I was completely relaxed. Itseko finishes and tells me she will be on again in two weeks. She will look for me and give me another round. Beautiful, can't wait.
Another enjoyable time came via two people we have bonded with during the treatments. I think it is amazing that you meet such noce people under such strange circumstances, but these two (Aaron & Tahnee are special people. Tahnee has the cancer and is a bit further in to treatment than me (I think she is on Cisplatin) and we share some interesting similarities.
Today is their youngest daughter Laynie's birthday. Not the best way to spend your 4th birthday, having your Mum in Hossie undergoing Chemo, but let me tell you I was really moved by the efforts that their family went to to ensure that the birthday celebrations could go ahead. Both sets of Grandparents jumped on the train from Bendigo, with the kids and bought them to the hospital today so that they could be with Mum on this speacial day. NOW THAT IS FAMILY LOVE AT ITS BEST. 4 hours on a train lugging food and snack and birthday cake. That is special.
Aaron had been telling us that he had been talking to his girls (Laynie & Kaylee) about us and it was so nice to have them come and visit Lisa and I. It was great to recall the wonder of having young kids at birthday time. They are so enthusiastic and bubbly. And congrats to Aaron and Tahnee they were oh so polite.
3. RT Results Boost
The CDU ward clerk then let's me know that the Cetux is still a while away and suggests that we try to get me in to my RT review earlier than scheduled because I would be in the dosing chair by the time the appointment is scheduled. So a quick call later and I am heading up to RT PLC (radiotherapy planning clinic). I run in to Cat (my RT pharmacist) and it is amazing that she actually remember me. These people are really amazing. They see so many patients, that it really is awesome that they can remember people.
Albert comes out and I laugh when he says "so what am I up to now - oh that's right Mr Southwell". Now this guy is a genuine nice guy. He has this infectious smile and laughs so easily. I think he likes my sense of humour as well. So after a quick look (no touchy gagging stuff this time) and a quick measure he confirms for me that the tumour is indeed receding. That is awesome news. He then goes on with the BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE.....You now need some pain killers because the fun is about to start.... He writes out a script and I end up with three more concoctions to help me get through the next few weeks. So I now have a potion that I mix up 10 minutes before I eat and it numbs my throat for a half hour to allow me to eat. I am gonna see how long I can go without relief but when I need it I am not gonna be stupid enough not to use it.
It does come with a few warnings for Lisa - no sharp food, no overly hot food and not too much chewy food. I won't be able to feel anything while I eat so rather than me tearing my cheeks, or actually chewing them , or scalding my tongue etc, Lisa needs to monitor what I am eating. Oh boy this is sounding like a great amount of fun is coming.
So yet again a great session, and right as I leave I get advise that they are waiting for me in CDU because the Cetuximab has arrived. Score. Back on track. Only 3 hours later than expected.
4. Cetux
I arrive at CDU and am almost straight in, just a few quick checks (weight, blood pressure, pulse count, temperature etc, and off we go. Laura (my nurse for the session) is just ultra quick and ultra accurate with the insertion of the cannula and it is the first time that there is almost no anxiety. I did say almost. But compared to usual it was almost non existent. I know that they are really watching the clock. It is just gone 4pm. The work shift finishes at 6:00pm and best estimates indicate I will be finished at 6:15pm. After everything starts and the phenergan starts to make me feel drowsy, Lisa finally heads off to get a something to eat. We have been here for 7 hours now and I am the patient so I get plenty to eat, but not poor Lisa. I love the fact that she wants to be with me all the time and I basically have to tell her to bugger off.
I am almost at fall asleep point when Laura asks me if I mind moving to another seat in another treatment room as she needs to close down her room and head home. Now who am I to object. Not a problem I respond, only to have her tell me that's one patients complain bitterly. I am left pro seeing why you would ever feel the need to complain when these people are doing so much to make your journey as comfortable as can be.
It is amazing just how quickly two hours can fly by, and I kid you not, you really don't sit there thinking how much longer. I wonder what people on Cisplatin, who have a 6 hour delivery time, feel about the treatment time and whether they also get a sleeping agent to help pass the time. Of course if you are dozen and doped out, you really tend to forget time.
So just on dark I am heading down to RT room two for my milestone treatment 7/35 - 20%. We run in to Tarnee and Aaron again and they are almost complete and can head to their hotel and rest for the night. I hope they had a wonderful day. Such a nice thing to have a family visit on treatment day.
20 minutes later and I am in and out of RT and on my way home. I am feeling very tired, but possibly because of the relaxant injected in to me, or possibly the length of the day, but I am feeling great overall and have had an amazingly enjoyable day.
No comments:
Post a Comment