So here is the story so far .....
I am a bit of a "routine" person, basically performing the same functions as part of a ritual each morning. This includes how I wake and get ready for work every morning. I am sure that we all have out rituals/routines, they are what allow us to operate on cruise control some mornings. This morning was one of those mornings - it was the day after Australia Day - Tuesday 27th January 2016 to be precise. Having enjoyed a great long weekend I was in the shower having my normal, every morning shave when I felt an unusual lump on the right side of my throat - not a big lump ... just something that shouldn't be there. Sound familiar???
I check with my wife, who thinks we should keep an eye on it for the day and see if it the onset of a sore throat. When it is still there on Wednesday 28th we head to the Doc's in the arvo and find out that I cannot have an appointment until Saturday 31st. The receptionist/nurse asks me what it is about to which I respond "This lump on my neck"; "Does it hurt?" she asks. I advise her that it is not painful at all. "Wait here" she says and goes in to the Doctors office. Upon returning a few seconds later I am advised that the doctor will see me in a few short minutes.
At this stage my anxieties start to rise - is it what I think? Is it that bad that I get to see a doctor straight away? Oh well, shit happens, absolutely nothing I can do now but hang on and wait and see.
After a few very rapidly arranged tests and a blur of appointments over the next few days it turns out to be the secondary cancer in my lymph node connected to the primary cancer of my tonsils. Yep I was one of those lucky kids who did not have to have their tonsils out.
So, it appears that I am about to undertake a once (hopefully) in an lifetime adventure.
A bit like a Roller Coaster ride I hope. There will be scary bits, fun bits, nerve wrecking bits but it will come to an end. I don't expect that you will want to join me on the adventure, but as several friends have said to me - thought you might want to hear about it.
So, I plan to share my journey in this space, to allow those who are interested to travel the distance with me.
I need to advise right at the start that I was immediately reassured by the treating head and Neck surgeon that my prognosis is excellent. I am lucky to have caught it very early, I am in great physical shape for my age (54) and have already been told that I have a great positive attitude towards what lies ahead (taking inspiration from amazing people like Aron Ralston and Michael Crossland - look them up on Google).
Thankfully it is not all morbid and doom and gloom. Just a bit of pain and discomfort which I will embrace with a usual mix of arrogance, ignorance, stubbornness and aggression.
I am aiming to keep this as humorous and uplifting as possible whilst using this space to capture my thoughts and feelings about what the next 6 months will bring....
Stay tuned, and to each of you go my very best wishes. Have a ripsnorter of a day!
No comments:
Post a Comment